Saturday, October 23, 2010

Harvesting the Grapes

Ever since I began drinking wine I have wanted to learn more about the process of making it. After visiting Napa Valley in 2005 I wanted to go back and visit a vineyard when they harvested the grapes. That opportunity came my way five years later on the island of Møn, at a vineyard owned by my husband's family, in the country of Denmark. It was a fantastic experience, and one that I hope to repeat one day.

We began in a very traditional Danish way, by having coffee, spandauer (otherwise known as danishes) and schnapps. We began pickin
g the grapes at the location of the first vines, on a pig farm. You read that right. The first vines were on a pig farm. The Danes love their pork!

The second set of vines were on family land, where Tobias and I had our wedding reception. By the time we made it there it was lunchtime, so we had a very traditional Danish lunch of smørrebrød (rye bread with vegetable and meat toppings), pølser (hot dogs or sausages) and beer.

After the second set of grapes were picked, it was time to stomp the grapes. The only grapes they stomp are the tiny little port wine grapes so I was able to partake in this time honored tradition made popular by Lucille Ball (and Pretty Woman) and happily check one of the things off my 'to do' list!

No comments:

Post a Comment