Friday, July 29, 2011

Every Day is a Holiday in July


When I worked for the Tribune Company back in the States, we knew not to expect a response from our Danish technology vendor during the month of July due to the fact that everyone went on vacation. However, experiencing it while living in the country is an entirely different experience altogether.

I'm certainly not complaining, as I have enjoyed every minute of the fact that everyone is allowed 3 weeks of vacation during the summer by law, but trying to get anything accomplished during the weeks you are not on vacation is next to impossible. For example, after my parents left I had two weeks of normal daily life before I hit the vacation highway again.

During that time I tried to get some necessary tasks checked off the list. I contacted two doctors, two teachers, two business people, and one beautician for appointments or information which is of importance to me, and no joke. They were all on vacation. Again, I respect the law and really enjoy the work-life balance in Denmark, but I sometimes wonder how the country gets anything done.

Of course this is coming from an American raised in a culture where there is little to no balance between work and life, so this post should of course be taken with a grain of salt. Hopefully I'll have better luck in August! (When I'm back from my vacation in the States, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment