Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Free at Last!

After a pretty intense last semester at Business School, I have reached the point that I nearly thought impossible at the beginning. I am done forever with class exams. My final oral exam was this morning, and right after that I handed in my last written paper, technically due tomorrow.

The only way I was able to stay sane, and meet all the deadlines was by working ahead the entire time. The first paper was finished approximately two weeks ahead of schedule, same with the second. Then I went back to the States for a week for Thanksgiving and lost a little time, but still managed to hand in paper number three four days ahead of schedule. Paper number four was done five days ahead of schedule, so I had time to study for two oral exams before it was due. Whew!

I went through all the phases of grief when I first realized my schedule. First I was numb, then came denial. There was no way all of this was possible. Then came anger and depression. I hated how demanding school was and questioned why I was doing this to myself many times over. I missed my evenings at home relaxing with my husband. Then came bargaining. I had to stop going to Danish lessons in order to save my academic career. Something had to give. Once that was over, I went straight to acceptance. I knew what I needed to do in order to survive the semester.

I had to celebrate the tiny successes. After the first paper was handed in, my husband and I went out to dinner. After the first oral exam was over, I treated myself to cupcakes. After the second paper, a trip back to the US was a pretty cool reward. After the third, there was the Maroon 5 concert. Immediately after the fourth I had a glass of wine and now that the 2nd and 3rd oral exams are over, I am treating myself to a facial tomorrow. Right after I meet the girls out for some drinks tonight.

The stress is slowly leaving my shoulders....balanced life can begin again.

2 comments: