Monday, February 13, 2012

Culture of Trust

One of the things I have come to truly appreciate about Danish culture is how trusting the people are. In their government, fellow citizens, and even strangers on the street. I remember listening to a speech from a well known anthropologist in Denmark about this phenomenon known to be common in countries with larger welfare societies, like Scandinavia. In this part of the world, there is concern for society as a whole, corruption in government is low, and people follow the rules. I remember the last line of his speech (which covered many other Danish quirks) like it was yesterday:  "You may not understand the culture, but if you live here, you should try to respect it."

It's hard not to respect a culture where babies are left outside to sleep in their prams, and parents let their little ones take the bus, train, or bike to school on their own. Where you can have a girls night out in the city, and not feel scared to walk home alone if it gets a little later than you expected to stay out. But my favorite little sign of trust has to be the missing items left exactly where they are found on the street. Or perhaps picked up and propped on something more at eye level, so the person who lost it can find it again when they retrace their steps.

Like the glove shown in this photo. I was getting off the Metro one day and saw it and it made me smile. Just like the graffiti that was once perceived as a sign of an unsafe and rough neighborhood when I first moved to Copenhagen has now become a form 'city art' in my mind. Each time I see a missing item laying on a bush, bench, or ledge I don't think it's odd or strange, but see it as a reminder that I am living in one of the most trusting societies in the world. And that little piece of knowledge is comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment