Sunday, August 12, 2012

Back to Reality

This past Monday reality set in as I began working a full-time job again. Since May, 2009 my life has been a series of adjustments given my new status as an expat. I went through a period of several months after first arriving in Denmark where I didn't know what the future held for me in this foreign land. However, all signs pointed towards learning the language. Not only so I could understand the world around me, my temporary residency and/or immigration contract pretty much required language lessons before I could be considered a permanent resident. Despite the rules, I wanted to learn the language as I had married into the culture and wanted to be able to speak to my Danish family one day. After 6 months of looking for work in Denmark, I quickly realized the fact that not having my Masters or the ability to speak the native language were two strikes against me, preventing me from finding work and/or being just as successful in Denmark as I had been in the United States. So Danish lessons began and so did the application process for business school.

Three years later, I have worked hard to 'level the playing field' between Denmark and the US when it comes to career and the enjoyment of everyday life in general. I can understand approximately 80-90% of what is spoken and can make my way through most social situations. In-depth conversations and/or work concepts are still difficult but I know once I take the final fifth module in Danish that will only get easier. I received my Masters in Economics and Business Administration which I've been told lies somewhere between an MBA and a PhD in the US. I'm not the sort of person that brags, but I am proud of what I have been able to accomplish. However, despite my hard work the current employment economy is hard for the average Dane to find work just graduating from university, not to mention a foreigner. What I didn't anticipate post graduate degree, was that I might be considered just another recent graduate, versus an experienced professional with over 10 years experience on top of her recent education.

So while I was lucky enough to find full-time work, the level of success in terms of my career in Denmark remains to be seen. Recent conversations and other expat experiences have given me the impression that the language barrier will continue to be an issue and while organizationally the flat hierarchy of the Scandinavian culture makes for a 'cozy' work environment, financial success may be harder to achieve for an experienced professional. However, the jury is still out on that last statement as I know several Danes that would attest to financial success being greater for them in Denmark versus other countries. The only conclusion I can make from that is when it comes to developed countries in general, citizens may always have a greater impression of perceived success in their native land. The reality could in fact be very different. On the other hand, perhaps it all comes down to how you define success.

No comments:

Post a Comment