Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sandals in the Rain

It's summer in Denmark. Wait, there it just went.

I think I was spoiled shortly after my first week in; after the daze of the newness passed. We had three or four gloriously sunny and warm, practically HOT days where having the windows open (no screens, another difference) was not enough. Having two individual down comforters (no sheets, another difference) was too warm.

Those days were over before I knew it and then I really started paying attention to the weather. Waiting...willing the warmth to come back. The temperature dropped radically and all of a sudden that summer dress I had worn, and sandals I was planning to wear would have to wait for another day, or week, or...who knows how long.

So the weather I am now living with on a daily basis is wet. Maybe damp is a better word because it rains in short spurts and then the sun breaks and it dries up. One thing is for certain. It's cold. Cold for June at least. Correction, the June I am used to in Chicago. I can barely bring myself to wear flats, let alone sandals, and I see women wearing them everywhere! In 50 degree weather. Never mind the wind and rain.

It sort of reminds me of April in Chicago when you're brave enough to wear open toed heels out at night because you know the drinks you consume will make you forget about the cold soon enough. But there are no drinks to be had on Strøget!

Toughen up Heather. I'm sure my thin blood will thicken and before you know it I'll be wearing them too. Preferably, when the 70 degree (Fahrenheit) weather returns!

hlt

No comments:

Post a Comment