Thursday, August 20, 2009

Men Who Cook

I've been to four dinner parties over the last few weeks and the theme I can't help but take note of is three out of the four meals were made by men. The ladies set the table, had some wine, caught up on each others lives, and the men were in the kitchen preparing the feast. This is definitely something I can get used to.

Men cooking is so common in Scandinavia it's almost not even worth noting to the average Dane. This isn't the typical American male making meat on the grill sort of "cooking" either. These are men that like to experiment in the kitchen, take pride in making a meal, and actually prefer to do the cooking. Not only for the family, but with their guy friends as well. Getting together with a group of guys and planning and preparing a meal is something you would never see in the US. Order pizza, yes. Prepare a three course meal together, no.

If you've been keeping up with me, you know that cooking has never been a strong talent or overwhelming desire that I possess. That's not to say I don't enjoy a nice meal, or appreciate the skill involved. I consider myself and my girls back home "foodies." Our favorite past-time includes checking out the latest and greatest restaurant and rating them on food quality, service, ambiance, and/or whether or not we would go back. Our very own "Check Please!" if you will.

However, my life and therefore past-time has taken on a different turn. I now live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, which means going out to eat is a rarity versus regular activity. Inviting people over for dinner is more common than making reservations at the hottest place in town. In my new circle of friends anyway. So I can't help but make the same restaurant rating observations and what I have come to conclude is: "Why pay extra when you can make better food at home?"

I am now hearing a gasp around the globe and I totally get it. Believe me, I myself, had a hard time writing that last sentence. I'm pretty sure every child has grown up hearing that a time or two, but I am now seeing the truth behind the words I have rolled my eyes over a thousand times in my youth. At least in my adult life in Denmark. The quality of the food here is incredible and provides a good base. Mix that with some actual talent, which men and women learn in school. Combined with warm and friendly service, which isn't always common in restaurants in Denmark. Topped with a cozy or 'hyggeligt' atmosphere and I leave thinking: "I can't wait to do that again next time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment