Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We Are Family

Madison, WI - July 18, 2009. My thirty "faux" birthday and our wedding celebration in the United States. Not quite as sunny as June 20, but it was fantastiskly filled with family and friends.

As it goes with couples with two countries, you need to pay your respects to both. And happily so! My family had never traveled internationally until they came to Denmark for the wedding and the experience was "wonderful." For all of us! One for the memory books that we will laugh and talk about for years.

Then it was my Danish family's turn to come to the US and travel internationally for the very first time as well. They marveled at our portion sizes and tall buildings. Were impressed by our customer service and clean streets. A lot of firsts have happened on this entire experience, and Tobias and I embarking on the journey called marriage is just one of them. What has come out of all of the adventures so far is one great big happy family, and many future trips to look forward to!

This experience has also shown me that small towns and close families are pretty much the same all around the world. I come from a family of six girls and two boys, and just inherited the island of Møn! While Tobias' family welcomes me with open arms I continue to be amazed how two people from totally different worlds can have similar past experiences and share the same future goals. All cultural differences aside, what took us so long? I read a quote recently that sums it up. "It's luck and openness and timing and where you're sitting."

No comments:

Post a Comment