Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Damp Dansk Virus

This has been the coldest winter Denmark has had in 25 years. My husband jokes that I brought the cold with me being from the Midwest. Maybe so, but I certainly did not bring the nasty symptoms that come from living with the daily damp cold.

First let me start by saying it is January and I have been sick twice in the same month. That's never happened before. I caught your average cold on New Years Day that was over in about a week or two. Cold symptoms are the same wherever you are in the world. However, this second illness has thrown me for a loop. Knife cutting throat pains combined with stomach flu like symptoms.

I swore I had strep throat or some sort of bacterial infection but I saw the Doctor the same day I called and I was totally normal. No fever, strep or bacteria, it must have been a virus. After talking to my husband and a few other Danes, it sounds like these are normal winter weather symptoms. Apparently my American immune system wasn't prepared for the damp dansk virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment