Monday, March 22, 2010

Friends

The longer I live in Denmark, the more I am fascinated by the affect the American TV show Friends has on the global population. Especially for those that want to learn how to speak English.

When I met my husband I thought it was cute that he knew all of the Friends shows by heart and referenced them frequently in real life situations, similar to the way me and my girls do with Sex and the City. However, the more people I meet in Copenhagen, the more I am told how Friends helped them learn English. More importantly, Friends made them WANT to learn English.

This takes the show to a whole new level. Not only are Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler, and Joey beloved because they made us in the US laugh at them and in turn ourselves, but they inspire non speakers to actually want to learn to speak their language. Now that's what I call a global phenomenon.

1 comment:

  1. No matter where I've lived over the years, from living by myself in the mountains of NC for 5 years, to an afternoon home alone in Copenhagen, "Friends" have always provided me with a loneliness cure like no other show. I guess it's because I grew up with the "Friends" gang, and although they can't replace real friends, they're the next best thing when you're all alone and missing home. It works everytime, no matter where I've been - now that's a global phenomenon indeed!

    ReplyDelete