Monday, March 1, 2010

The L is a 3 Letter Word

My last visit to Chicago was more than just a cozy visit down memory lane, it was the first time I looked at the city through EU eyes. What struck me most was how OLD the beloved 'L' was. Now, I took the L almost everyday of my city life in Chicago, so I say this with the deepest sincerity.
For those that aren't familiar, the 'L' refers to the train or rapid transport system as it is defined by Wikipedia, that takes Chicagoans around the city by public transport. However, after riding Copenhagen's S trains and Metro, rapid it is not.

In worst possible conditions Copenhagen public transporters have to wait 20 minutes at the most. Normally an S train comes every 7-12 minutes and there are signs which tell you how long you have to wait. The Metro is even faster. In my new neighborhood where I have access to both, I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a train and can make it into the center of the city in less than 10.

To add insult to injury, the trains are also clean and quiet. There are garbage bags that people actually use to put their trash in. Conversation is kept to a minumum and there are also 'silent zones' to guarantee peace and quiet during your commute.

Chicago has a new Transit Authority president that was leading the charge of the much needed renovations before I left, but finding the funds for a society built on cars and gasoline may be his biggest challenge.

2 comments:

  1. It is really funny to see things as our s trains and metro through your eyes, as we normally complain a lot about them being late etc:D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an expression: "The grass is always greener on the other side." You don't know how good you have it until you experience something worse! :)

    ReplyDelete