Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Hats are Back

It's that time of year again when Danish high school students walk around the city proudly wearing their graduation hats to signify to the rest of the world they are close to completing their education. Another reminder of that tradition is when groups of recent grads drive around the city in decorated trucks honking and screaming to the world that they are finished with school.

The first time I witnessed this unique Danish tradition last year I was shocked and confused as it goes against the quiet and introverted way Danes live their private lives, but I found myself smiling at the students wearing the hats this year and have even found the screaming and honking endearing. It sort of reminds me of homecoming parades back in the day, back in the US of A.

It's truly amazing what a year can do to your perspective! I am either becoming more Danish or less affected by the differences between our two countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment