Friday, July 23, 2010

Viking Holiday

For my thirty faux birthday, my husband and I in true Viking style, took to the sea for a weekend of leisure. We sailed to Oslo to check out Norwegian country.

This was especially fun for me as I was surrounded by my own little Norway in the Midwest as a child. I grew up next to a little town called Westby, where a lot of Norwegians settled. Names like Hansen and Petersen were very common to me in school which is probably one of the reasons I have felt right at home here in Scandinavia.

Sailing into Oslo I also realized why they must have felt right at home when they settled into the US. Wisconsin is a spitting image of Norway. For a second we felt like we were on the Mississippi River, not the Oslofjord Bay. Hills and valleys of green speckled with houses of yellow and red. It was beautiful, and actually made me a little homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment