Sunday, November 14, 2010

Foreigner is a Four Letter Word

This past Saturday my fantastisk project group mates from CBS and I conducted a Focus Group for Foreign Professionals in Denmark which gave me an opportunity to see a lot of old friends and Danish language classmates. It allowed us to catch up on each others lives since we saw each other last which ranged anywhere from 9 months to a couple of weeks and also discuss the very important topic of integrating into Danish society.

It occurred to me while I was taking Danish lessons that the textbooks were written for us. People who had left their home countries where they were fairly successful and had a fruitful career, to come to Denmark and be forced to start all over or maybe even 'holde en pause' from their careers. Some people took it better than others, but what we could all agree on was the fact that we were all a little bit lost until we found each other in Danish class.

As it happens, our semester project at CBS requires us to find an existing problem and create a real world solution, so we have decided to tackle a topic that is personally close to my heart and one that I experienced first hand and saw a huge gaping opportunity for improvement in. The fact that I was able to see old friends again was an added bonus to the overall process. We all helped one another find our feet through that difficult time. The least I could do, is use this wonderful opportunity to help future foreigners.

For any foreigner in Denmark interested in helping us define these services, please answer our short survey.


No comments:

Post a Comment