Monday, April 25, 2011

Extreme Security

I took my first trip to the American Embassy in Copenhagen to renew my passport, in preparation for a renewal of my residency here in Denmark, and I was just so excited to be on "US soil" that I didn't even think about all of the security precautions that come with "officially" entering the US, even if it's in a foreign land.

For example, there is no such thing as simply walking in. You have to report your name and purpose for being there to two men who are standing guard outside. After they thoroughly examine your passport you are then allowed to stand in line to be allowed to enter. Before you can enter, you need to turn off your cell phone, and keep it in your hand. Then you hand over your bag so they can examine it first, while you stand outside.

Finally, you are let in but now the secondary bag examination begins. You are asked to turn in your phone, locate your keys and take them out. I had a USB stick in my wallet and they asked me to locate that and also take that out. I also had a bottle of water in my bag, so they asked me to remove that and take a drink of it. After it was determined the liquid was safe, they put the bottle of water and any papers I was carrying in a container to be scanned, while my bag, keys, and shoes were in a separate container.

Finally, you walk through a security scanning machine (like at the airport), and once you reach the other side you can have your bag, keys, water bottle, and papers back - but not your phone or USB stick. You are given a number so you can pick it up on your way out. Once inside, there is a security guard behind a glass counter that directs you to where you need to go.

After it was all said and done, I amazingly got in and out in under 30 minutes after the Embassy opened at 9am and made it to my 9:50am class in time, but it was pretty incredible considering all of the above. However, I would gladly do it all over again if it meant the one safe place for US citizens in Denmark, was fully protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment