Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beautiful Berlin

A few weeks ago my husband and I took our annual trip together, which happened to be to Berlin. We've decided this is our Christmas present to each other each year due to the fact that 1) we never really feel like we "need" anything and 2) the majority of our travel budget is spent on trips back to the U.S. to see family and friends. This allows us to see someplace new and slowly check off the long list of places in the world we would like to travel.

Apart from being mesmerized in its history, Berlin is a place of great beauty. I'm not just talking about the landscape or architecture, but more of the inner strength and colorfulness of the people. It felt very international to me, and at times American. I know that sounds crazy, but walking through the Mitte neighborhood where we stayed, there were times I swore I could have been in Chicago. The fact that they have Starbucks helped, but also the newness of the buildings and wideness of the streets definitely made me feel like I was on the other side of the Atlantic at times. Then I would see an old building next to a new one and I would remember how the city had to rebuild itself many times over the years.

The most emotional part of our trip was a visit to the Holocaust Memorial and the parts of the city where the Wall still stands. The American Embassy was right next to the memorial which reminded me of the role the country played in WWII. I have a suspicion its location was a strategic decision given it took nearly 17 years to complete the construction after many years of negotiating and planning. We found a path which symbolized where the Wall once stood and followed it to a part of the city where you can see it in its original form. After walking by the words "Why" and "Madness" spray painted into the Wall, you get a sense for how it must have felt to be living there at that time. A Visa was required to move from one side of the city to the other. This part of the city known as "Checkpoint Charlie" actually still has the original signs up, in addition to fake American soldiers standing guard (for the tourists of course).

One of my favorite parts of the trip however, was dinner at an authentic German restaurant with friends. Because I work for an international company and we have an office in Berlin, we met up with some locals for traditional schnitzel and cheese noodles, in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Afterwards we went to a hotel bar, which again reminded me of something we would do in Chicago. Whenever I travel, I prefer to go where the locals go, and do as the locals do. Just goes to show, no matter where in the world you live, some things remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment