Sunday, November 11, 2012

What's the Bond Deal?

The whole James Bond fascination must be a European thing. The latest Bond movie has everyone I know in Denmark and throughout Europe talking about the movie with a sense of excitement you usually only see for major events like the Oscars or the World Cup. From opening night black tie attire to dinner plans to drinks, this movie has friends excitedly talking about when and how they plan to celebrate seeing the next Bond flick.

I tried to share in their excitement (to be polite of course) but kept asking myself inside the entire time they were talking, what the big deal was? In the U.S. the Bond movies are legendary as well, but for me they are more nostalgic than anything else. Like listening to Frank Sinatra, or going to a great steak house. Looking back at when the series began that makes sense, as the first movie was aired in 1954.

I am certainly not against seeing the Bond movies, but honestly can't remember the last time I saw one. I remember Madonna releasing a song for the 'Die Another Day' movie but that was circa 2002. The Bond actors that come to mind for me are Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan, but of course there are many more. Ask any Bond fan and they are sure to utter off the actor's names as easily as their children's names. 58 years and nine Bond actors later, Daniel Craig seems to have resurrected the series from old school charm to current day action.

How do I know that? Because when I was invited to see the movie with my favorite British friend, I of course accepted the invitation succumbing to the excitement of it all (for research purposes, obviously). When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment