Sunday, January 13, 2013

Home is Where the Heart is

We just returned from nearly 4 weeks in the US over the Christmas and New Year holidays, which explains my blogging absence since Thanksgiving. For that, I sincerely apologize. However, rest assured I was thoroughly enjoying myself back home surrounded by family and friends and lots of love. Home. Some say it's wherever you lay your head, and others say it's where the heart is. But what if your heart is in two different places? That is most definitely the case in this instance.

I am blessed with an amazing husband and he comes with a wonderful family that is kind and caring and thoughtful. I realize how lucky I am as I have found a true partner and as far as in-laws go, I couldn't have asked for a better lot to be married into for the rest of my life. But blood is blood. There is just nothing like looking at a family member and seeing the resemblance of you in them, through your parents. Good or bad, it's what bonds you or drives you crazy. The love is often unspoken, unless of course you live thousands of miles away. Then you know better than to hold it in. You speak it when you feel it.

The choice to live in Denmark was very logical, given our emotional state at the time of our engagement. Since then I have learned a new language, made new friends, received my Master's degree, and have worked with fantastic people. So why is it so hard to leave the US after each visit? Because my heart is in two different places. The country of my birth and the country I reside in are both amazing places to live. If I could combine qualities from both I could create the ultimate utopia. Add all of the people I love in one place and it would be heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment