Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dusk at Dawn

As I read all the gloriously happy Facebook posts from friends out enjoying the beautiful Fall weather back in the States, I am beginning to realize the biggest difference between the Midwest and Western Europe. The lack of sun. There are no golden leaves glistening on the trees here.

I knew this going in, and also experienced it when traveling, but living with it is quite different. You literally wake up to the same amount of light that you will have all day. It feels like dusk at dawn, and never really gets any lighter than that. It is constantly overcast and frequently rains. Even sitting by a window, you will want to turn on lights in the afternoon.

I am beginning to understand why normal working hours are shorter in Denmark. People start to commute home around 4pm, maybe even 3pm (or should I say 16:00 or 15:00). What I thought was pretty fantastic during the summer months, I now see as a necessity in the middle of Fall.

It gives people a chance to enjoy some of the day before it turns pitch black. Maybe even hit one of the self service sun booths that are everywhere in the city to boost the mood. What they lack in natural light, they make up for in artificial access. Sun beds are even at the gym. I am learning a little more everyday just what makes them so happy. Good infrastructure.

No comments:

Post a Comment