Monday, February 14, 2011

En Rigtig Fest

This past weekend my Svigerfar (or Father-in law) turned 60 and him and 40 of his closest friends got together for dinner, singing, and dancing.

This was my first 'rigtig' or real Danish birthday party where songs are written especially for the occasion and man of honor. There were three songs written in total and several speeches and laughs along with food and drinks galore.

My favorite part of the night however was when the lights turned low and all the couples got out on the dance floor. I felt like I was watching my parents back in the days when they first met and I realized that soon I would not be able to witness parties such as these as this is not the stuff of my generation.

Couple dancing, like I saw on Saturday must have died somewhere with the later generations. My parents are in their 70's and my husbands parents and friends are in their 50's and 60's but my oldest brothers and sisters who are in their 40's don't dance like this, and never have to my knowledge. That tells me that those born in 1960 and above dance to a different tune.

That's cool that the later generations march to the beat of their own drum and all, but sometimes you just want someone you can dance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment