Monday, February 14, 2011

Home Team in a Foreign Land

This year I watched the Green Bay Packers win the Super Bowl with a movie theater filled with Danes. I knew American football had a following in Denmark, but I had never anticipated how large that following actually was.

Since the game started at midnight on this side of the pond, the evening began with a movie at 9pm. We watched the Oscar nominated film The Fighter about an American boxer from Massachusetts and then it was game time. With popcorn and Budweiser in hand, we settled in for 3-4 hours of my home land's national winter past-time.

The theater was 60% Packer fans, 40% Steeler fans by the sounds of the cheers and an exciting game from the start. Even though it was nearly 3am at half-time I was amazed at how awake I was, but coffee was still a nice and necessary treat. Soon it was over and at 5am I found myself riding the Metro home with other Super Bowl fans, ready to get some rest and get back on local time.

No comments:

Post a Comment