Friday, May 28, 2010

Amazing Møn


The fields are alive with the color yellow on the island of Møn. Raps or Rapeseed is in full bloom and it is a beautiful sight to see. Fields of yellow and green, with a blue sky backdrop. It almost doesn't look real but then again, this is the land of fairy tales and Hans Christian Andersen.

Every year on Pinse Sunday my husband's family gathers for breakfast in the woods at a place called called Fanefjord Skovpavilion and every year I am grateful to be a part of this brilliant tradition and fantastic family. Not to mention, given an excuse to visit the exquisite island they are from.

Just an hour and a half from the city, Møn is a world away from anything else I have ever seen. If I had to describe how it looks I would say Door County and Cape Cod combined. I am instantly at ease when we cross over the bridge. Similar to how I used to feel living and working in Chicago and escaping to Wisconsin for the weekend.

The common denominator in both scenarios is family, and I believe the Danish expression for the feeling that brings would be 'hyggeligt.'

No comments:

Post a Comment