Monday, May 24, 2010

Cykel Style

The entire month of May has been dedicated to my daily commute to Danish class "på cykel" and it feels great. When the weather cooperates there is no better mode of personal transportation or way to see Copenhagen at its best.

It takes me the same amount of time to get into the center of the city from where we live by bike as it does by train, so unless I have an appointment or meeting after class I would much rather go by bike. You're saving the planet AND getting some exercise!

Of course your sense of personal style may suffer for the sake of the journey. I see many women on bikes with dresses and heels and I admire them. Unfortunately for me, I am not able to do a leisurely bike ride. Partly because my daily round trip is ten miles and secondly, because my brain still registers the bike as a form of exercise equipment.

My habitual race to make the green light, has just been transferred to another form of transportation. Not to mention the fact that all those spinning classes start to register in my brain and I cycle way harder than I need to, but I don't know any other way to do it. It's in my DNA. I come from a family of fast walkers. If you need to get somewhere, you put a little gas in your step, pedal to the metal, or in this case wind in your spokes!

No comments:

Post a Comment